background

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Kickin' Off October!

Aaron and I had a brief conversation the other day about exactly what marks the beginning of fall.  Here are the top 5 factors that were in the running for determining the commencement of fall:

1) Cooler weather.

2) Football season.


3) The actual calendar date of fall equinox.


4) The arrival of pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks.

OR 5) When the leaves are beginning to change.

I mostly wanted to know this "single-most important factor" because I would otherwise be living in denial that summer has gone and fall has come all the way into November.  And that would in no way be fair to my Autumn Leaves and Autumn Wreath Yankee Candles that have been sitting in the back of a cabinet for 10 months.  Or my autumn-colored dish towels.
All this being said, I can no longer deny the arrival of fall.  We are in the 40s at night, college football is in full swing, calendar dates of note have already passed, some of the leaves are turning, and I had my very first pumpkin spice latte of the season yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, I love fall, but it is a little bittersweet, as it marks a long, slow slide into another winter season.  Kindof like getting the most delicious dessert but slightly resenting it because you know you're fixin' to devour it and then it will be gone...

And while I can't wait to wear a coat and some boots again (and feel some weather cool enough to start up that fireplace), I'm really praying that the snow is a little more modest this year (like measured in inches instead of feet would be a good start).

So - factors aside - we have determined that our "annual" visit with our friends for Seminole Football would "officially" kick off the season for us this year.

This weekend, some great friends from college (Aaron's old roommate Dan and our good friends MaryAnn and Joe) came up for our "second annual" Florida State away game trip.  (Which wasn't too much of a trip for us since it was only 2 hours down the road at UVA in Charlottesville, VA.)  We had a great time!!  (A birthday shoutout goes to my great girlfriends Amanda and Jill who couldn't be there with us but were there in spirit!  Missed you ladies but hope you had a GREAT day!)  I'd say October is off to a good start.

Here are are a few pics from Scott Stadium at UVA:

Me and the boo.

Dan the man.

Me and Hallie (oh and "bourbon" in the gray there)

All of us :)

In summary, Happy Fall and Go 'Noles!



No comments:

Post a Comment