background

Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

In DC, people probably didn't believe me at first when I told them I was from Florida.  After all, living in Tallahassee for 4 years had nearly erased any evidence of any tan skin I once had.  But one flash of my Virginia driver's license made them all believers, with my tan skin 10 days post St. Lucian honeymoon.

After 2 years and and a few months away from the sunshine state, Aaron and I are definitely Floridians again.  And it feels great! (and hot)!  Don't get me wrong, transitioning away from familiarity and friends has it's challenges.  But something about living in a city along the Atlantic Coast feels just like home.  Aaron surprises himself on a daily basis by making note of how much he's comfortable in 90 degrees with a sea breeze.  "There's just something about it," he says.  And we both have spent more and more time outdoors.  Even the puggle likes to chill in the sunshine. 

We're slowly getting used to taking care of a house (a little bit more of a responsibility over a 1 bedroom apartment).  We've found every Target, Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot in a 20 mile radius.  And yesterday was full of yard work and washing our car (I never considered that having our own hose would be a thought so endearing).  

Today I have been laying out working on my pre-beach base tan so I don't get fried on my very first venture to "the shore" (familiar vocabulary for all you northerners).  But I just got smoked out of the backyard by Aaron, who is firing up his brand new to toy to grill some long-awaited ribs.

It's a bittersweet time we're having here, in a state of transition between "home" and "home".  Feels like we belong around here until I see pictures of Arlington Cemetery and start to tear up for all the wrong reasons.  As in, the cemetery is one of many iconic places that remind me of our old home.  

...But on that thought, on this Memorial Day, I challenge those of you in the DC area not to take for granted all of the memorials and monuments around you, as it can be so easy to do in our daily city lives.   But let's be thankful to those heroes who have given their lives in service so that we can engage in all of our American festivities and celebrations...wherever we are.


Happy Memorial Day from the Wilsons.

No comments:

Post a Comment